Sunday, October 11, 2015

Sunday, time to...well...

Sunday should be a day of rest but I'm up early, read the online paper, waiting on my normal Sunday emails, and thinking back on hat we did yesterday, My wife did her usual job of All-State tallying of scores and helping with what she could. I did....well, I didn't get to do what I used to do since I'm retired, no longer teaching, blaw, blaw, blaw.

I actually walked the dog, fed all of them - dog and cats. Watched a little CBS morning TV which I never get to do. Ate some cereal  and came back to my laptop for a while. It has been 'just a morning of rest", not a day yet, but at least a morning.

Got back from church, had lunch, then my wife took the doc to his 'training' class. me I sat around and thought about story telling. I have always love to tell stories and a history teacher that is the part I have always loved best. Stories can hook your student then you can just reel them in if you do it right.

I guess that has always been my 'strong suit' - stories of all types, geography, people, events, times, I love them all. It's what I have been doing with my TPT store.

My wife's g-g-g-g-grandfather, a Cajun, was looking for someone to meet and date one day - since everyone in Grand Lake was related - decided to row across the lake to see who was over on the west side. He ended up meeting a young girl over there and he began to row across the lake every day or so to spend time with her.

He began to help her dad herd cattle and he stayed longer and longer, ultimately marrying the girl and lived on the west side of the lake. He came back from time to time to visit his parents and ultimately would be buried on the west side of the lake and would be forgotten until this young man would marry his g-g-g-g-grand daughter and start looking for his burial site.

After months of research his site was found and everyone loved the story about how he had rowed miles around the lake to marry a Granger on the west side of Calcasieu Lake near the town of Hackberry.

The story became just part of the narrative of the Acadians of my wife's family dating back to the early 1700's in Acadie (Nova Scotia) before they were expelled and made their way to south Louisiane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ten things I am thankful for today

It does not take a lot of time to tell you what I am thankful for - not today or this week or.... 1. I am happy because my wound care doc...