Monday, August 22, 2011

Baseball card-style project

I have always been a fan of the old baseball cards. Recently I was at a teacher training session and we did electronic baseball cards. However, I got to thinking about my poor kids that don’t have a computer, done have internet access, of just don’t have the time to do the cards the electronic way.

I came up with a better way to do the same thing. It’s not as fancy or as colorful but it does get the information that I want. I bought a few stacks of 3x5 index cards at Wal*Mart, punch a single hole in the top left-hand corner and pasted them out to my students in sets of six. So I sent a few bucks, but the results were magic.

I then handed of the directions which included a sheet of pictures of each of the names on the paper. (This is a word doc so you can change the names to fit your time period). I explain that picture goes on the blank side and the information required goes on the lined side. I only wanted five bullet points of information. I did not want an essay of long write ups. I just want FACTS. I also wanted the name of the person and the dates of their life. Simple enough.

I have the students over a dozen names to pick from and told them I only wanted five. They chose which five they wanted to do. Freedom of choice works wonders. I tend to get my five back from almost every students because they picked. The hold in the top was for them to ties short string to hold their cards together.
 

These Baseball cards work like a charm. The item is a simple word doc costing only a buck. Need more info, I will glad to email you about this project and others. As I have always said, I’m just an email away.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a fun activity! You should post some pics of the projects the students completed - it's always great to see the students' take on it.

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete

Ten things I am thankful for today

It does not take a lot of time to tell you what I am thankful for - not today or this week or.... 1. I am happy because my wound care doc...