Sunday, July 31, 2011

Meet and Greet coming up!

Over the years I have always had my own personal “museum” but this year I will just have to do without. I am sharing a room and doing it for 60% of 80% of 100% if that makes sense. Last year I made 100% salary but chose to resign just to be able to get out of the ‘you know what’ that I was in. I found a job at a local Episcopal school in town that pays 80% of what I used to make. The job turned out to be part time so I am only making 60% of that 80%.

That’s how bad I wanted to teach and how bad I wanted out of my last job. I am not sure I will be able to make it this year with all this and my wife retiring from the same system we were in last year. Her retirement will be 75% of that original 100%. It’s going to be a strain but I want to teach so bad that we are willing to make the sacrifice. I may be the “old guy” but I love what I am doing and what I want to do. The students always come first in what I have planned.

I will do my beloved history club with 7 weekend trips this year. I had to go get the bus forms for the districts bus, contact my favorite driver, and make all the arrangements but it is worth it. I have done these trips over a dozen time now but it is so much fun to watch the students faces and hear their comments about the places we are going, the foods they will eat, the art they will do, the photos, they will shoot.

All this BEFORE I even start at the new school. The principal keeps telling me that she wants to get me up to full-time ASAP. She says I can step into classes and help teachers in any way I can. There are not many of us who have taught in the district so most have never been exposed to the things I have. She is hoping that they can leave from my experiences.

My goal is to hit the ground running on day one. I may only be 60% of 80% of 100% but I will be there at 7:15 waiting on the first student even though my first class is not until much later in the day. I want to meet and greet the students as they come in. I NEED to be there.

I always have some of my favorite items on TPT. Even though they are geared towards history and in general, Louisiana history, they can always be modified to what you need. My students always love having things they can cut out and "make". Tryone of my FREEBIEs about Slave Cabins in the south pre Civil War. http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/LouisianaSouth-Slave-Cabin-worksheet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ten things I am thankful for today

It does not take a lot of time to tell you what I am thankful for - not today or this week or.... 1. I am happy because my wound care doc...